Book Title: Engaging Teachers in Classroom Walkthroughs
Publisher: Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development
Author: Donald S. Kachur
Engaging Teachers in Classroom Walkthroughs is a practical guide to planning and implementing brief but focused classroom observations that involves teachers in every step of the process. Drawing from their study of 40 schools in the United States and Canada, the authors show how administrators and teacher leaders moved teachers from resisting to embracing the practice. Readers will learn how to
* Foster a school culture that supports walkthroughs.
* Implement the components of successful walkthroughs, such as focus and look-fors, data collection methods, and meaningful follow-up strategies.
* Get all teachers involved and actively participating.
* Evaluate the walkthrough process and measure its effectiveness.
* Use walkthroughs to support professional development related to the Common Core State Standards.
This book demonstrates that when teachers learn from one another in a cycle of continuous professional growth through observation, shared inquiry, dialogue, and follow-up they develop a sense of collegiality and a common mission. By opening their doors to their peers, they also contribute to broader school improvement efforts that positively affect teaching and learning throughout the school.